One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of popular music) straightforward, simple, or unadorned.
- ‘Most often the track sounds normal with a straight-ahead beat and accompanying riff, but in the details is much more to consider.’
- ‘There are still those slow ballads that explode into country rawk waltzes and the straight-ahead rock, but some of the tracks are more poppy, with a lot of electronic synth thrown into the mix.’
- ‘I remember when I was a pre-teen, and I heard some straight-ahead rock music for the first time.’
- ‘For the most part, it's straight-ahead, loud, party glam rock that would make a perfect prologue to a night out.’
- ‘Benoit's music reflects nearly every jazz style including fusion, straight-ahead be-bop, orchestral, and smooth jazz.’
- ‘It was a simple show, straight-ahead, no tricks, and it was wonderful.’
- ‘Smith's basic style remains intact with most of the music being straight-ahead rock featuring her mix of singing and speaking, depending on the occasion.’
- ‘It's your straight-ahead radio-friendly modern American rock with no alarms and few surprises.’
- ‘The electro-beat influence has been put to rest and exchanged for straight-ahead guitar rock.’
- ‘‘I'm totally into straight-ahead traditional music,’ he says.’
- ‘She's also known for her driving straight-ahead rock music - music that's attracting a lot of attention.’
- ‘The rest of the album is filled with straight-ahead pop songs that range from pleasant to completely forgettable.’
- ‘Then we could make a strict, straight-ahead comparison between the two.’
- ‘At five minutes long, the track is an oddity on an album of searing, straight-ahead punk rock that takes not one prisoner.’
- ‘Gritty guitars, straight-ahead rhythms and an aggressive singer make for music that is upbeat enough to get you inspired, but not too intense.’
- ‘This year, the organizers opted for a straight-ahead indie line-up, relying on the pull of each individual band rather than a single headline act.’
- ‘His mastery of straight-ahead jazz is on display here, in spite of the unconventional source material.’
- ‘Being a straight-ahead rock band nowadays isn't the most profitable venture.’
- ‘Always a straight-ahead, no-frills director, Roberts was never much of a risk-taking stylist or flashy innovator.’
- ‘If the goal was to produce a simple, straight-ahead rocker, then the band have succeeded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.