One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Growing or spreading in an irregular, untidy way.‘his straggly dark hair’
untidy, messy, unkempt, straggling, dishevelled, bedraggledView synonyms
- ‘I sit in the only empty chair on the front row next to a very pale man with long straggly gray hair who has a persistent dry cough and wears sandals with thin black socks.’
- ‘She brushed the tangles out of her straggly red hair.’
- ‘Along the way we encountered straggly herds of llamas and occasional wild dogs.’
- ‘It was a shabby, straggly, unkempt little regiment, their faces chapped, their noses running in the cold.’
- ‘My dark brown hair was dirty and straggly, the longest strands falling just past my shoulders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.