One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Courageous or determined.
brave, determined, full of determination, courageous, bold, plucky, spirited, valiant, valorous, gallant, fearless, undaunted, dauntless, doughty, unafraid, intrepid, manly, heroic, lionheartedView synonyms
- ‘With the value of the euro plummeting like a stone, not only stout-hearted defenders of sterling must have been wishing they could receive this assurance in writing.’
- ‘The power of a whining drill to strike terror into the most stout-hearted Scot is a key reason why the country has one of the worst records on dental health in Europe.’
- ‘In Shakespeare, probity is the possession of stout-hearted simpletons, such as Florizel, Bassanio, and Duke Orsino.’
- ‘First, I rounded up three stout-hearted companions.’
- ‘She was a wonderful woman, intelligent and stout-hearted.’
- ‘The two teams continued to fight on and both sets of defences dug in deep and contested every ball with stout-hearted blocking, hooking and tackling.’
- ‘A few minutes research in any supermarket is enough to alarm the most stout-hearted customer.’
- ‘Any sallies into Ballyhaunis territory by the St. Colman's lads were usually blunted by the bulwark of the stout-hearted Ballyhaunis defence whose confidence and commitment was never once dented on this occasion.’
- ‘The stout-hearted intensity of this company provided a conviction of its own.’
- ‘When Hell-Cat Maggie screeched her battle cry and rushed biting and clawing into the midst of a mass of opposing gangsters, even the most stout-hearted blanched and fled.’
- ‘Having said that, I think we really have to be stout-hearted.’
- ‘Mascots are some of the most noble, dedicated, and stout-hearted performers.’
- ‘Lauren and I are stout-hearted individuals and, as you may remember, psychic twins.’
- ‘Colonel Sakurai was a stout-hearted and straightforward man.’
- ‘In fairness, after again showing their customary and deeply worrying failure to put the opposition away, Galway dug deep to earn a replay against a busy and stout-hearted Dongal team.’
- ‘Ekanayake was adjudged the Man of the Match for his stout-hearted effort.’
- ‘Italy's few stout-hearted collectors of emerging art, Giuseppe Panza most conspicuously, were inclined to favor the Americans.’
- ‘Large crowds attended the funeral ceremonies on both days, a fitting and entirely deserved tribute to this stout-hearted gentleman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.