One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric heater that accumulates heat in water or bricks during the night (when electricity is cheaper) and releases it during the day.
- ‘Heating was provided by electric storage heaters with an electric cooker also included.’
- ‘In particular, heating at the moment comes from a variety of storage heaters.’
- ‘The house has no central heating and is fitted with storage heaters which Mr Taylor - who has a crumbling spine and receives disability benefit - says he cannot afford to run.’
- ‘I'm home now; my storage heaters are on, and my water bottle is hot.’
- ‘We limed the beams, stripped the wallpaper, laid limestone floor tiles, changed the light fittings and removed the ugly old storage heaters.’
- ‘Concrete absorbs heat and re-radiates it slowly much like an electric storage heater.’
- ‘Electric storage heaters replaced the stove and open fire.’
- ‘The house has oil fired central heating and also has electric storage heaters.’
- ‘The houses have electric storage heaters and hardwood doubled glazed windows.’
- ‘They act as storage heaters, retaining warmth and gradually releasing it.’
- ‘Two new boilers will be installed and the old storage heaters will be removed.’
- ‘They describe it as a ‘beautifully-presented starter home’, with double glazing and electric storage heaters.’
- ‘Now there were electric storage heaters and carpets which simply needed vacuuming.’
- ‘Energy from the windmill will be channeled into storage heaters and used as and when required.’
- ‘In a new build, seriously consider underfloor heating to turn your acres of tile into toe-warming economical storage heaters.’
- ‘There are electric storage heaters in the house, which was rewired about 10 years ago.’
- ‘She said life was getting back to normal but despite the cold weather she could not use her storage heaters until they were inspected.’
- ‘Why should they get gardens and brilliant new places, when we've got storage heaters and it's freezing in the winter?’
- ‘The storage heaters have had to be turned off because they were using up too much electricity, apparently.’
- ‘For a number of years researchers have identified the problem - the buildings and roads act like giant storage heaters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.