Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of computer equipment on which information can be stored.
- ‘It needs a link between the virtual/main memory of the computer and the secondary storage device in order to access the data contained in the database.’
- ‘Are you looking for a high-capacity storage device big enough to store and preserve tons of vital computer data?’
- ‘If you have a high-capacity storage device, you can store one hour of high-definition TV and watch it later.’
- ‘The archiving is a multi-step process, including data compression and then moving the files to the nearline storage device.’
- ‘For added flexibility, they can be used as a USB storage device.’
- ‘It has also been claimed that part or all of the device's memory can be mounted on a host computer's desktop as a removable storage device.’
- ‘By clicking onto this icon the user can access the general and private data from the storage device in no time.’
- ‘Digital rights software will enable users to view the program a certain number of times, after which it will be automatically erased from the storage device.’
- ‘Flash memory chips are the primary storage device for handphones at present, but small HDDs are at least three or four times more cost-efficient.’
- ‘With this kit you can take almost any old hard drive and convert it into an external storage device.’
- ‘It will be detected as an external storage device, and automatically be assigned a drive letter.’
- ‘A query is executed in a computer to retrieve data from a database stored on a data storage device.’
- ‘A statement is stored in a database stored on a data storage device connected to a computer.’
- ‘The drives were seen as additions to existing hardware, not as an independent storage device.’
- ‘While there is plenty there, it's a shame that's its not upgradeable, or you can't use the phone as a storage device.’
- ‘The hard drive is the primary storage device for desktop and laptop computers.’
- ‘It is a removable storage device which plugs into the USB port.’
- ‘This particular error usually indicates that the mass storage device isn't recognized properly by Windows.’
- ‘The near future of storage devices continues to be increasing storage capacity while reducing the physical size of the storage device.’
- ‘If you really want to remove the file's contents from a mass storage device - be it a hard drive or a USB drive - you've got to overwrite the individual file blocks with new data.’
storage device/ˈstôrij dəˈvīs//dēˈvīs/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.