One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A battery (or cell) used for storing electrical energy.
- ‘Mine was fully equipped with a working storage battery and ready to drive off the lot.’
- ‘That's the promise of the miniaturized fuel cell, which could end the long run of the storage battery.’
- ‘Cables lead the solar energy to storage cells and to the households.’
- ‘Current speculation is that an explosion of hydrogen from storage batteries caused the damage.’
- ‘The voltage required to properly recharge a storage battery varies with battery temperature.’
- ‘The electrical discharge from the lead storage battery provides the energy to start the internal combustion process in a car.’
- ‘Lead-arsenic alloys were once used widely in lead storage batteries and lead shot.’
- ‘When he wasn't presiding in court, Grove could be found in his laboratory, where he made several important improvements to the design of storage batteries.’
- ‘The storage cell converts available light from any ambient source into electrical energy.’
- ‘Li immediately started the storage battery while assuring the passengers that everything would be okay soon.’
- ‘In 1900 the U.S. Navy acquired its first modern submarine, fitted with torpedo tubes and running submerged on electricity from storage batteries.’
- ‘Two 120-cell storage batteries are installed in the first and third compartments of the submarine.’
- ‘If the batteries were simply charged directly by the solar panels and windmill, about 80% of the energy produced by them would be available to the motor, as that is the charge-discharge efficiency of modern storage batteries.’
- ‘They contain their own internal electrical generators operated by natural ‘rider’ movements making them independent of conventional storage batteries.’
- ‘About half of the antimony produced in the United States is recycled from old lead storage batteries, in which the antimony was originally alloyed with lead.’
- ‘Our idea is to take the output through the inverter to a storage battery and out to a pair of hub motors.’
- ‘Solar panels, storage batteries and installation start at about $20,000 for modest dwellings, and $25,000 to $30,000 for three-bedroom homes.’
- ‘Industrial chemicals added to the suspected carcinogen list include naphthalene, an ingredient in mothballs and toilet bowl deodorants, and lead used to make lead-acid storage batteries, ammunition, and cable coverings.’
- ‘Researchers have been looking for a substitute for the lead storage battery that would provide electrical current efficiently, but that would not pose an environmental hazard.’
- ‘So by day, some of the collected solar energy gets channeled into storage batteries for later use during dark hours.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.