One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A volley played close to the net in which the player stops the ball without a forceful stroke, sending it just barely back over the net.
- ‘There was a beautiful stop volley, a shot so delicate that the ball barely seemed to contact the strings at all.’
- ‘If the shot has very little pace and/or excessive backspin, the stop volley will probably drop into the net.’
- ‘He plays a lunge stop volley which lands and spins back onto his side of the court.’
- ‘The times to hit stop volleys are when your opponent is deep and has hit a shot at you that does not have too much pace or too little pace.’
- ‘The stop volley is an immediate point winner, for it must place the ball where the opponent cannot possibly reach it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.