One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A volley played close to the net in which the player stops the ball without a forceful stroke, sending it just barely back over the net.
- ‘The stop volley is an immediate point winner, for it must place the ball where the opponent cannot possibly reach it.’
- ‘He plays a lunge stop volley which lands and spins back onto his side of the court.’
- ‘The times to hit stop volleys are when your opponent is deep and has hit a shot at you that does not have too much pace or too little pace.’
- ‘If the shot has very little pace and/or excessive backspin, the stop volley will probably drop into the net.’
- ‘There was a beautiful stop volley, a shot so delicate that the ball barely seemed to contact the strings at all.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.