One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The knob controlling a stop on an organ or harpsichord.
- ‘On both sides of the keyboard-left and right-there are stop knobs to change the tone, coupler knobs to combine the keyboards, and other knobs which operate other attachments.’
- ‘The slides are stuck, and few of the stop knobs will draw.’
- ‘With Opus 25, sliding stop knobs were abandoned in favor of pairs of mutually canceling conventional draw knobs.’
- ‘You've no doubt been struck by the great number of stop knobs you saw in the photograph, and it is an impressive sight.’
- ‘It includes keyboards, a pedalboard, stop knobs, and other devices required to control the sound of the instrument.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.