One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ball game resembling baseball in which the ball is thrown against a building or the steps of a stoop rather than to a batter.
- ‘At last, he stopped running and played a weird game of stoop ball off the cinderblock wall next to our driveway.’
- ‘He describes games of stick ball and stoop ball and being terrorized by his older cousin David, whose mother was boarded by Dad's parents.’
- ‘But Kholos stresses the positive, depicting the strong community life, centering on the front stoop, where the women gossip and the boys play stoop ball.’
- ‘In addition to athletic activities, including bench ball, punch ball, stoop ball, boxball and curb ball, the site lists explanations of games like kick the can.’
- ‘During the summer in the daytime the street was noisy with the children playing various games of box ball, stoop ball, punch ball, stick ball and racquet ball.’
- ‘All the kids on my block played stoop ball at my house because we had smooth rounded edges on our stairs.’
- ‘Our favorite game was stoop ball where we'd take the spaldine, or rubber ball, and we'd play baseball with it against the stoop.’
- ‘The minute I got out of school I started playing street games, card games, alley games, rooftop games, fire escape games, punch ball, stick ball, handball, stoop ball, and a hundred other games.’
- ‘Those were the days when you could play ball all day long - stoop ball, stickball, punch ball, and hardball.’
- ‘Another game which we played, that was made popular just after World War 2, was called stoop ball.’
- ‘It had the definitive stoop for playing stoop ball.’
- ‘Greene recalls playing stickball and stoop ball with his friends growing up, and he believes that such games still offer important lessons to today's kids.’
- ‘There was a whole raft of urban games with which today's kids are totally unfamiliar: stickball, stoop ball, box ball.’
Early 20th century: from stoop + ball.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.