One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small Old World songbird of the thrush subfamily, having bold markings and a call that sounds like two stones being knocked together.
Genus Saxicola, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae: three or four species, in particular the widespread S. torquata, the male of which has a black head and orange breast
- ‘Tritiated corticosterone ([1,2, 6,7] 3 H-Cc New England Nuclear-Dupont: NET - 399) was used to determine how one male and one female stonechat metabolize and excrete that steroid.’
- ‘We tested one further antibody (against 11-oxoetiocholanolone) that has been successfully used in geese but it did not give satisfying results in stonechats.’
- ‘Experiments were carried out end of April (adrenocorticotrophic hormone [ACTH] challenge) and June (radiolabeled corticosterone infusion) 2000, when gonads of the stonechats were fully developed.’
- ‘Taken together, these results indicate that excreted corticosteroid metabolites usually integrate plasma hormone levels of 1-3 h in stonechats and thus parallel the time course of androgen metabolite excretion in this species.’
- ‘Some, such as the wryneck, ceased to breed in East Anglia; others, notably the stonechat, all but vanished.’
- ‘In the low Syrian Mesquite bushes we found a stonechat and a few white wagtails running around.’
- ‘This companionship extended into early summer when the stonechat family was fed both in and out of the nest by the lonely Dartford.’
- ‘The August sand-dune flora includes harebell and bloody crane's-bill, with sea rocket along the strand line and stonechats perched in the burnet roses.’
- ‘Migratory stonechats, Saxicola torquata, established territories as apparent male and female pairs on their wintering grounds in Israel.’
- ‘On occasions woodchats have been known to plunder the nests of other birds, which may explain the anxiety of a pair of stonechats nearby.’
- ‘In stonechats, the combined effects of ACTH administration and handling during that treatment led to a significant increase of excreted corticosteroid metabolites within 1 h 20 min.’
- ‘Forays off the beaten path led me to a common stonechat, a white wagtail, a plain leaf warbler, and a number of species in the shrike family; great grey shrike, masked shrike, and red-backed shrike.’
- ‘I saw half a dozen stonechats scattered singly or in pairs along a mile stretch of the fenceline.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.