One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small Old World songbird of the thrush subfamily, having bold markings and a call that sounds like two stones being knocked together.
- ‘Experiments were carried out end of April (adrenocorticotrophic hormone [ACTH] challenge) and June (radiolabeled corticosterone infusion) 2000, when gonads of the stonechats were fully developed.’
- ‘In stonechats, the combined effects of ACTH administration and handling during that treatment led to a significant increase of excreted corticosteroid metabolites within 1 h 20 min.’
- ‘Forays off the beaten path led me to a common stonechat, a white wagtail, a plain leaf warbler, and a number of species in the shrike family; great grey shrike, masked shrike, and red-backed shrike.’
- ‘Some, such as the wryneck, ceased to breed in East Anglia; others, notably the stonechat, all but vanished.’
- ‘In the low Syrian Mesquite bushes we found a stonechat and a few white wagtails running around.’
- ‘This companionship extended into early summer when the stonechat family was fed both in and out of the nest by the lonely Dartford.’
- ‘Tritiated corticosterone ([1,2, 6,7] 3 H-Cc New England Nuclear-Dupont: NET - 399) was used to determine how one male and one female stonechat metabolize and excrete that steroid.’
- ‘Taken together, these results indicate that excreted corticosteroid metabolites usually integrate plasma hormone levels of 1-3 h in stonechats and thus parallel the time course of androgen metabolite excretion in this species.’
- ‘Migratory stonechats, Saxicola torquata, established territories as apparent male and female pairs on their wintering grounds in Israel.’
- ‘On occasions woodchats have been known to plunder the nests of other birds, which may explain the anxiety of a pair of stonechats nearby.’
- ‘I saw half a dozen stonechats scattered singly or in pairs along a mile stretch of the fenceline.’
- ‘The August sand-dune flora includes harebell and bloody crane's-bill, with sea rocket along the strand line and stonechats perched in the burnet roses.’
- ‘We tested one further antibody (against 11-oxoetiocholanolone) that has been successfully used in geese but it did not give satisfying results in stonechats.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.