One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, heavy edible crab of the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean area.
Menippe mercenaria, family Xanthidae
- ‘Arches restaurant is a Newport landmark, serving fresh fish, stone crab claws, and high-priced abalone.’
- ‘The grass flats are home to pink shrimp, sea trout, redfish, snook, spiny lobsters and stone crabs, making them the cornerstone of the state's multi-million-dollar recreational fishing and seafood industries.’
- ‘From deep-fried cracked conch - a Keys' specialty, to stone crab claws, Florida lobster or a dozen different fish species, Key Largo's chefs take pride in how they prepare the local catch.’
- ‘During my study periods, the blue crab were observed in all the habitats, while the two less-mobile crabs (the stone crab and the mud crab) were not found in the mud flat.’
- ‘Pholeus bifurcatus burrow system corresponds somewhat with modern burrows produced by crabs, such as the stone crab Menippe mercenaria or Goneplax rhomboids.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.