One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or connected with the mouth and stomach, particularly denoting a system of visceral nerves in invertebrates.
- ‘As revealed by cGMP immunocytochemistry, these increases arise from the activation of sGC in neurons from the commissural, oesophageal, and stomatogastric ganglia.’
- ‘The importance of PIR for network oscillation was perhaps most firmly established in the lobster stomatogastric ganglion.’
- ‘Crustacean motor circuits, including the stomatogastric nervous system, the cardiac ganglion, and the abdominal neurons involved in escape reflexes, have been studied extensively for several decades.’
- ‘This review will highlight recent NO research in decapod crustaceans, with an emphasis on the stomatogastric ganglion and NO's role in the specification of rhythmic motor networks.’
- ‘Shortterm adjustments of the stomatogastric ganglion motor neurons by neural inputs, peptides, and other neuromodulators are well documented.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek stoma, stomat- ‘mouth’ + gastric.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.