Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pain in a person's belly.‘most childhood stomachaches aren't serious’
indigestion, dyspepsiacolic, gripebellyache, tummy ache, collywobblesView synonyms
- ‘The larvae of Toxocara canis may cause a stomach ache, but can also trigger an asthma attack, pneumonia and seizures, and affect vision.’
- ‘Alternatively, he can just say that his stomach ache has got worse.’
- ‘How well I remember my son's first day at school: the stomach ache the night before, the paralysing shyness at the gate, the skirting round the edge of the playground not making eye contact.’
- ‘Why does excessive drinking give me a stomach ache?’
- ‘The 19-year-old spent a year visiting doctors for treatment for a stomach ache before they finally discovered last month that he had terminal liver cancer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.