One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short-lived stomach disorder of unknown cause, popularly attributed to a virus.
- ‘Last Christmas, the stomach flu felled us one by one.’
- ‘Ginger is often used for nausea after surgery or chemotherapy, and in cases of stomach flu and food poisoning.’
- ‘It was Thanksgiving Day when Kenny was rushed to Kirkland's Evergreen Medical Center emergency room with what his mom thought was the stomach flu.’
- ‘We've navigated horse-deep rivers, sustained sunburns and stomach flu, and cramponed over a wide, thick glacier.’
- ‘Palestinian doctors said that he was suffering from the stomach flu.’
- ‘What the patient thinks is indigestion may really be a heart attack; the stomach flu an appendicitis; or the chest cold a pneumonia.’
- ‘The second most common childhood illness is gastroenteritis, more commonly known as the stomach flu.’
- ‘He described his illness as a stomach virus or stomach flu.’
- ‘The day of his fourth DPT and OPV shots, when he was two and a half, Chris was healthy except for slight diarrhea left over from a 48-hour bout with the stomach flu he had had at the beach three weeks earlier.’
- ‘Then again, maybe your whole family is down with the stomach flu.’
- ‘Though often called stomach flu, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea occur in only about five percent of people with epidemic influenza.’
- ‘At first we naturally thought the little old lady had the stomach flu and on one occasion took her to the emergency room for antibiotics.’
- ‘I think I might be coming down with the stomach flu.’
- ‘Richmond Health Services received calls this week that the virus, a strain of the stomach flu, hit children at a family daycare.’
- ‘The other day, a co-worker came into my office and regaled me with the tale of her weekend bout with the stomach flu.’
- ‘If you've got a stomach flu or eaten something that's gone bad, diarrhea is your body's way of getting rid of the offending stuff fast.’
- ‘It looks like Norwalk virus, which is a virus - a group of viruses actually - that causes something that feels and looks like the stomach flu.’
- ‘When I am running someone out the door to the dentist or have been up all night cleaning up after the stomach flu, I delegate this checking to the older kids.’
- ‘Despite contracting a debilitating case of stomach flu the day of the fight, he easily outboxed him, won a unanimous decision and became the IBF lightweight champion of the world.’
- ‘No sooner did I return from vacation than I was laid low with horrific stomach flu - I've been barely able to get out of bed for the last week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.