Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing a feeling of nausea or disgust.‘a movie filled with stomach-churning violence’
sickening, stomach-turning, stomach-churning, nauseous, emetic, sicklyView synonyms
- ‘The company suffered a stomach-churning 21% drop in its average selling price.’
- ‘I and a number of other women in the office find his behaviour stomach-churning.’
- ‘Patrons are guaranteed breathtaking (and stomach-churning) views of the Munich skyline.’
- ‘The violence is, as advertised, stomach-churning and there are some scenes that will literally have you lurching in your seat.’
- ‘The sound of someone gathering up phlegm is stomach-churning.’
- ‘He presented me with a copy of his book, After Survival, which contains stomach-churning memories of what he witnessed as a youth.’
- ‘We raced up gravel hillsides with stomach-churning vertiginous views all around.’
- ‘For $7, tourists sail off for a day's imbibing of stomach-churning mulberry wine on a ramshackle boat, boasting the loudest sound-system in the country.’
- ‘Every share picker endures a stomach-churning profit warning from time to time.’
- ‘Despite their stomach-churning eating habits, reptiles are becoming an increasingly popular choice of pet, particularly amongst women.’
- ‘Finding your local town between the covers of a sharp, stomach-churning, well-written thriller is an unusual experience.’
- ‘"The children aren't scared," your partner snaps, as your holiday flight leaves the runway and begins its stomach-churning ascent.’
- ‘Instead of undertaking stomach-churning jungle challenges, the politicians had to answer questions fired at them online by some of the town's school children.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.