Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A compartment in a steamship from which the boiler fires are stoked.
- ‘The stokehold vent cover aft of the funnel is also completely gone, with no evidence pointing to any remains.’
- ‘John reports the stokehold was manned by 2 stokers each watch on the 4 hours on, 8 hours off system.’
- ‘There are coal bunkers each side of the stokehold and each of these holds 17 tons of steaming coal.’
- ‘As shown below, the stokehold vents provided entry for the massive airflow demanded by the boiler fires.’
- ‘The stokeholds were enclosed, and steam driven fans were used to force air into the stokeholds.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.