One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compartment in a steamship from which the boiler fires are stoked.
- ‘There are coal bunkers each side of the stokehold and each of these holds 17 tons of steaming coal.’
- ‘The stokeholds were enclosed, and steam driven fans were used to force air into the stokeholds.’
- ‘The stokehold vent cover aft of the funnel is also completely gone, with no evidence pointing to any remains.’
- ‘As shown below, the stokehold vents provided entry for the massive airflow demanded by the boiler fires.’
- ‘John reports the stokehold was manned by 2 stokers each watch on the 4 hours on, 8 hours off system.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.