Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The relationship between the relative quantities of substances taking part in a reaction or forming a compound, typically a ratio of whole integers.
- ‘This method also allowed us to more accurately quantify the stoichiometry of oligomerization at different pH values.’
- ‘This relationship, called the stoichiometry of a reaction, can be used to predict how much reactant is needed to create a certain amount of product or to predict how much of the product will be formed from a certain amount of reactant.’
- ‘Finally, the net reaction may be exothermic or (more commonly) endothermic, depending on reaction stoichiometry.’
- ‘The relative stoichiometry of the different sequence copies in the parental lines was also studied.’
- ‘Binding and catalytic events are assumed to occur in accordance with their reaction stoichiometry.’
Early 19th century: from Greek stoikheion element + -metry.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.