Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The relationship between the relative quantities of substances taking part in a reaction or forming a compound, typically a ratio of whole integers.
- ‘This method also allowed us to more accurately quantify the stoichiometry of oligomerization at different pH values.’
- ‘The relative stoichiometry of the different sequence copies in the parental lines was also studied.’
- ‘Finally, the net reaction may be exothermic or (more commonly) endothermic, depending on reaction stoichiometry.’
- ‘Binding and catalytic events are assumed to occur in accordance with their reaction stoichiometry.’
- ‘This relationship, called the stoichiometry of a reaction, can be used to predict how much reactant is needed to create a certain amount of product or to predict how much of the product will be formed from a certain amount of reactant.’
Early 19th century: from Greek stoikheion ‘element’ + -metry.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.