One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A terraced porch in front of a house.
- ‘A unique feature are the pillars on the front stoep: they are upside down cannon barrels, painted white.’
- ‘The farmhouse started as a simple rectangular building with front stoep.’
- ‘Supported by timber trusses and arboreal columns, the restaurant's great monopitch roof recalls the traditional African stoep or veranda.’
- ‘In South Africa a stoep is a raised veranda on which you sit and watch the world go by.’
- ‘For years, before I had my stoep enclosed with a roof, swallows, swifts and European starlings nested under the eaves.’
Afrikaans, from Dutch; related to step.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.