Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for stockinette
- ‘I couldn't understand how Rowan could rate this as a 2 star pattern, since it was just very basic stocking stitch with a tiny bit of lace, but once I got onto the front, it was clear that the pattern was not quite as simple as I'd expected.’
- ‘It is a slip stitch pattern on reverse stocking stitch.’
- ‘I particularly liked this pattern, which was easy to memorise and a tad more interesting than a rib or stocking stitch.’
- ‘I did the body in stocking stitch and boxed the flower in reverse stocking stitch as opposed to doing the whole front and back in stocking stitch.’
- ‘The original pattern is done in reverse stocking stitch (hard to see in the picture, but obvious in the book), but Tracy did hers in stocking stitch.’
stocking stitch/ˈstäkiNG ˌstiCH/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.