Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A broad shield-shaped bug that is typically brightly colored or boldly marked. It emits a foul smell when handled or molested.
- ‘During the recent bamboo flowering in Bhadra, naturalists noticed a sudden and massive spurt in the numbers of a species of insect called the stink bug Dolycoris indicus belonging to the Pentatomidae family (sub order: Heteroptera).’
- ‘Using hi-tech equipment to pick up and broadcast the tiny vibrations, Charlotte was able to ‘eavesdrop’ on the stink bugs' courtship.’
- ‘Chemicals used to kill the stink bugs generally kill beneficial insects, too.’
- ‘He and his students began to study insects, too, and published research on Alaska yellow jackets and stink bugs.’
- ‘Low numbers of adult stink bugs, Euschistus conspersus Uhler, have occasionally been observed in or near traps baited with > 20.0 mg pear ester septa (ALK and DML, unpublished data).’
- ‘Individual costumes included the stink bug, praying mantis, dragonfly, grubworm, horsefly, gypsy moth, boll weevil, yellow jacket, monarch butterfly, two mean bugs and a nice bug as well as the ever popular maggot.’
- ‘He is also working on part of an immunological/biochemical test that would link to a method developed by an ARS entomologist to score the reproductive potential of spined soldier bugs and two-spotted stink bugs.’
- ‘In the stink bug, Nezara viridula, females allowed to choose their mates laid more fertile eggs during their lifetime than those assigned males randomly.’
- ‘‘Bean leaf beetles and stink bugs are major pests,’ he says.’
- ‘One stink bug in ten spikes is considered significant enough to impact yield and quality.’
- ‘Using percent frequency data, they found that beetles, stink bugs, froghoppers (Homoptera: Cercopidae), and moths all occurred in > 20% of the stomachs of 21 bats.’
- ‘Jaz, a newly arrived Sikh student was informed that his path to acceptance in his new school involved rounding up stink bugs and putting them in Mong's bag.’
- ‘I have already seen a couple of stink bugs this week.’
- ‘These include the tarnished plant bug, a relative of the stink bug; the little black sap beetle and the strawberry clipper, but they usually are less troublesome on strawberries than birds and slugs or snails.’
- ‘There he unearths dozens of small green stink bugs - shield-shaped, half-inch-long creatures.’
- ‘Thresholds for stink bugs in corn have not been developed.’
- ‘And, several species of spiders, damsel bugs and predatory stink bugs kill young larvae.’
- ‘On the plant side, a Brazilian entomologist is working at the Insect Chemical Ecology Laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland, looking for ways to control stink bugs, a soybean pest in both Brazil and the United States.’
- ‘Female egg guarding occurs in a wide variety of insects, including lace bugs, stink bugs, cockroaches, and treehoppers.’
- ‘Southern green stink bug females from Ethiopia produce vibrations in plant stems that are used by males to locate them.’
stink bug/ˈstiNGk ˌbəɡ/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.