One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant bug with very long slender legs.
Family Berytidae, suborder Heteroptera: many genera
- ‘Despite the abundance of some stilt bugs, the habits and hosts of most species are unknown.’
- ‘A stilt bug, Jalysus wickhami, was found on tomatoes and tobacco and only rarely on the other crops.’
- ‘It is a valuable addition because it features rare examples such as a stilt bug, found in the 1970s, which had only previously been found in the south.’
- ‘He found this predatory stilt bug at the Bernice Bishop Museum in Honolulu, Hawaii, among specimens that had been collected by scientists during a faunal survey of Southeast Asia.’
- ‘It includes the bark bugs, stilt bugs, seed bugs, cottonstainers, burrowing bugs, shield bugs and stink bugs.’
- ‘Note that the stilt bug family, Berytidae, is the only family on this page whose members were not once a part of the family Lygaeidae.’
- ‘In a press release sent by health department officials, she explained that stilt bugs are related to the Berytidae family.’
- ‘A diverse group of insects known as stilt bugs are both friend and foe to our agricultural crops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.