One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant bug with very long slender legs.
Family Berytidae, suborder Heteroptera: many genera
- ‘It is a valuable addition because it features rare examples such as a stilt bug, found in the 1970s, which had only previously been found in the south.’
- ‘A diverse group of insects known as stilt bugs are both friend and foe to our agricultural crops.’
- ‘In a press release sent by health department officials, she explained that stilt bugs are related to the Berytidae family.’
- ‘A stilt bug, Jalysus wickhami, was found on tomatoes and tobacco and only rarely on the other crops.’
- ‘He found this predatory stilt bug at the Bernice Bishop Museum in Honolulu, Hawaii, among specimens that had been collected by scientists during a faunal survey of Southeast Asia.’
- ‘Note that the stilt bug family, Berytidae, is the only family on this page whose members were not once a part of the family Lygaeidae.’
- ‘Despite the abundance of some stilt bugs, the habits and hosts of most species are unknown.’
- ‘It includes the bark bugs, stilt bugs, seed bugs, cottonstainers, burrowing bugs, shield bugs and stink bugs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.