One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Quietly and with little movement.‘the birds rested stilly’
silently, in silence, noiselessly, soundlessly, inaudiblyView synonyms
- ‘They wait there, standing stilly even as the bus slows and tries to stop close to that spot, where a brake squeals mightily.’
- ‘The waters work, and Jefferson is exalted stilly in his place.’
- ‘The figure lay very stilly on his bed, the sheets rumpled and wet with his sweat.’
Still and quiet.‘the stilly night’
quiet, silent, hushed, soundless, noiseless, undisturbed, sound-freeView synonyms
- ‘In the dusk we walked out onto a little bridge to watch birds, and in the stilly evening, out over the lake an alpen horn began to play.’
- ‘It was a stilly pitch-dark morning; neither moon nor star nor light from house or electricity pole was to be seen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.