One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A powerful synthetic estrogen used in hormone therapy, as a postcoital contraceptive, and as a growth-promoting agent for livestock.
- ‘For example, thyroxine for thyroid cancer, tamoxifen for oestrogen receptor positive breast cancer, and stilboestrol for cancer of the prostate.’
- ‘So you don't think that we'll have a stilboestrol problem which is the problem where women, to prevent miscarriage, got high doses of oestrogen in the hope that it would prevent the miscarriage.’
- ‘As part of an investigation into the mechanism of the enterohepatic circulation of stilboestrol the passage of stilboestrol and its monoglucuronide conjugate into sacs of everted rat intestine was studied.’
- ‘After 11 years of stilboestrol treatment, he was transferred to three monthly injections of LHRH analogue (Zoladex) to reduce the risk of developing the cardiovascular side effects associated with stilboestrol.’
- ‘Female hormones lead to gynecomastia, as demonstrated in patients with alcoholic liver disease and those who have been treated with drugs such as stilbestrol.’
1930s: from stilbene + estrus + -ol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.