One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic aromatic hydrocarbon which forms phosphorescent crystals and is used in dye manufacture.
- ‘Piceatannol was found to be the most effective in the DNA cleavage reaction as well as a reducer of Cu followed by resveratrol and trans stilbene which does not show any activity.’
- ‘Thus, a volume-conserving model seems to be needed for the isomerization of stilbene dendrimers with these large molecular weights.’
- ‘The stilbene dendrimers studied here are good models of such chromoproteins.’
- ‘Resveratrol is a naturally occurring stilbene that scientists suspect plays a role in the cardioprotective properties of red wine and is also a potentially important anticarcinogen.’
- ‘Photoirradiation of simple olefins such as stilbene resulted in mutual isomerization between cis and trans isomers both in the excited singlet state and in the triplet state decaying at the perpendicular excited state.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek stilbein ‘to glitter’ + -ene.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.