Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of the borage family that bears small barbed seeds.
- ‘The Yukon also has 16 introduced species of borages, a group of agricultural weeds that includes stickseeds and forget-me-nots, and 14 introduced species of mustards.’
- ‘All stickseeds are undesirable weeds that can become abundant in overgrazed areas.’
- ‘The primary reason for not designating critical habitat for showy stickseed is because the species has been repeatedly collected for many decades.’
- ‘Several nonnative noxious weeds have invaded stickseed habitat and threaten to out-compete the stickseed for the available nutrients.’
- ‘The fruits of the showy stickseed are spurred and covered with stout hairs that cling to the hair and bodies of animal.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.