Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of houses or other buildings) built piece-by-piece on the premises, rather than constructed from prefabricated units.
- ‘Their standards for energy-crafted homes has him just as excited - whether a home's stickbuilt or steel-framed is secondary.’
- ‘Modular homes are designed to meet the same state and local building codes as traditional stick-built houses.’
- ‘It is typical to save approximately 20% on the price of a modular home over the price of a stickbuilt one, and have your modular home delivered in eight weeks or less!’
- ‘I think that it was a situation where the windward loading doesn't even go into the diaphragm but straight into the foundation directly under the windward wall; It sounds like that situation is not typical with stickbuilt construction.’
- ‘I am so tired of seeing stickbuilt homes demolished and built again.’
- ‘A few weeks ago some of my clients were interested in viewing both a stick-built home and a modular home, and agreed to look at both in a blind comparison test.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.