One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An informal game resembling baseball, played with a stick and a (usually rubber) ball.
- ‘You might as well try to get up a game of stickball on Beekman Place.’
- ‘Some, especially those written for a pre-teen audience, recount happy memories, playing stickball in the vacant lot and bubblegum-blowing contests.’
- ‘In the summer there were barbecues and endless games of hide-and-seek and stickball.’
- ‘Alas - unlike Mort, he hadn't been weaned on stickball, and I was fairly sure he would be even more unnerved at the plate than in the field.’
- ‘There really has to be a serious effort in that inner city to get the kids to play today, because there's no more stickball, there's no more throwing it against the steps.’
- ‘Fortunately my older brother pointed it out between innings of stickball and my academic career was saved.’
- ‘Oscar's three children grew up knowing nothing of stickball in the streets or kerosene in the hair.’
- ‘Even baseball has been translated into an urban street sport with stickball.’
- ‘That meant I played ball in the lots, swung a broomstick in a stickball game, shot baskets in the school yard until dark and starred in hide and seek because I could run fast.’
- ‘Gone are the youth centers, city public parks, outdoor basketball courts, or empty lots where kids can play stickball.’
- ‘We played great games of stickball, punch ball and three man basketball on snowy playgrounds when I was a kid without an adult in sight.’
- ‘I always think of him playing stickball with the kids of New York after a major league game.’
- ‘You can't go down the street and play golf like you can go shoot hoops or play stickball or street hockey.’
- ‘Old people roam the streets at night, even playing stickball on street corners with members of the constabulary.’
- ‘When you live in New York you meet very few true New Yorkers, so there's something rewarding about getting to see the consistency of New York experiences, from stickball to Central Park.’
- ‘One day Thomas went out to play stickball with some of the other boys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.