One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or condition of being sterile.‘the disease can cause sterility in males’‘the sterility of debate in the party’
infertilityunproductiveness, unfruitfulness, infertility, sterileness, non-productivitypointlessness, unproductiveness, unfruitfulness, fruitlessness, uselessness, futility, profitlessness, worthlessness, abortivenessasepsis, freedom from germs, lack of contamination, lack of infection, lack of pollution, disinfection, purity, cleanlinessView synonyms
- ‘I don't mind that it's traded some gutsiness for a bit of sterility and a more intellectually satisfying approach.’
- ‘Ozone is injected into the water to ensure its sterility.’
- ‘Left untreated in women, the bacteria can spread to the fallopian tubes and ovaries, and may lead to sterility.’
- ‘Mumps can be linked to meningitis and cause sterility in males.’
- ‘Infertility and sterility are on the rise, threatening to rob future generations of their right to choose to conceive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.