One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of sound recording and reproduction) using two or more channels of transmission and reproduction so that the reproduced sound seems to surround the listener and to come from more than one source.
- ‘And you had to make room for dozens of stereophonic sound speakers all over the theater.’
- ‘During all sessions, participants wore stereophonic headphones providing either the control or the experimental recording.’
- ‘When widescreen films were introduced, stereophonic sound also became a selling point.’
- ‘This is not only a serious challenge for every individual member, but it has proven an exciting formation, creating a stereophonic voice sound in their stage presentations.’
- ‘A rush of new productions from the late 1960s responded to the introduction of stereophonic effects.’
- ‘One of these techniques employs coincident microphones to create a stereophonic pickup based entirely on the intensity differences generated between a pair of microphones as the soundwave passes by.’
- ‘The original video release boasted of a stereophonic audio track.’
- ‘I'd heard an MP3 or two before, but it just didn't match the true stereophonic majesty of the real thing.’
- ‘In fact, at first I thought it might be stereophonic.’
- ‘Back in the 1960s, a hi-fi system with stereophonic capability was all that people needed to enjoy music.’
- ‘Not necessarily, since stereophonic sound in 1935 was nothing more than a dream.’
- ‘One is the stereophonic sound - still primitive, but an improvement over 1952.’
- ‘The third stage is where are these tracks are mixed together, the end result being a digital stereophonic master track.’
- ‘He is the creator of the 10-stringed stereophonic double violin.’
- ‘Steps are also being taken to make the broadcast stereophonic.’
- ‘He gave me a long lecture about the absurdity of somebody claiming an interest in serious music who didn't own a stereophonic gramophone.’
- ‘We Are All Beautiful People sees the group thinking somewhat bigger, in full stereophonic splendour.’
- ‘Chaplin made no secret of his disdain for stereophonic sound.’
- ‘This tape can be played on monaural or stereophonic equipment.’
- ‘More realistic, spatial sounds can be provided using binaural, stereophonic technology.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.