One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The measurement of solid bodies.
- ‘First Plato identifies a group of five rather than four sciences and decries the neglect of his proposed fifth science, stereometry (solid geometry), with a probable allusion to Archytas.’
- ‘When, later, in stereometry [solid geometry], an appeal was made to my imagination, it went a bit better, but in school I never excelled in that subject.’
- ‘It is very easy to speculate how Aristotle would fill in the relations in the table; e.g., would he put stereometry below geometry, as Plato does in Rep. vii?’
- ‘In 1820 Brisson was appointed professor of stereometry and construction at the École des Ponts et Chaussées.’
- ‘It is, rather, a handbook for philosophy students, written to illustrate how arithmetic, geometry, stereometry, music, and astronomy are interrelated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.