One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of volume equal to one cubic meter.
- ‘China's comprehensive timber utilization percentage is expected to exceed 65 percent in 2010 from the current 60 percent, which will save 40 to 50 million steres of timber annually.’
- ‘According to the current national standard in the United States, the stere is not to be used.’
- ‘Currently, during March, in the middle of the rainy season, wood consumption for drying the tea is about 20 steres per day.’
- ‘Approximately 3 million steres of timber has been actually cut in private forests during the last years, including approximately equal volumes of logs, paper timber and firewood.’
- ‘It has 354.8 billion steres in surface water resources, 13.5 percent of the nation's total, and 330 billion steres in glacial water resources.’
Late 18th century: from French stère, from Greek stereos ‘solid’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.