One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Consisting of or resembling dung or feces.
- ‘These conditions may be known by the vomiting of stercoraceous or faecal matter, and when this is observed, instant medical aid should be called for, as the condition is one of great danger, and requires intelligent treatment.’
- ‘By the autumn of 1982, the stercoraceous material was about to collide with the oscillating cooling device.’
- ‘Finally stercoraceous vomiting took place and death followed in two days.’
- ‘At a later stage, the continuance of all the above symptoms, and the appearance of stercoraceous vomiting, are positive evidence.’
- 1.1 (of an insect) living in dung.
Mid 18th century: from Latin stercus, stercor- ‘dung’ + -aceous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.