One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A daughter of one's stepparent by a marriage other than with one's own father or mother.
- ‘He could not beat up his stepsister… not in the school her father was principle of.’
- ‘Maybe it's because she's leaving Saturday for a two week trip to California with her father, stepmother and stepsister.’
- ‘It is estimated that by 2010 there will be more stepfamilies in the UK than biological families and this programme will look specifically at the relationships between stepbrothers and stepsisters.’
- ‘I have about eight stepsisters and stepbrothers, for a variety of reasons.’
- ‘Cinderella told her father that she's looking forward to seeing both her stepsisters.’
- ‘Plus, his mom and dad are divorced, so he has 2 stepsisters and 3 stepbrothers, plus another ½ sister.’
- ‘My stepsister eats from her flock all the time, or did when I last checked, and other farmers of my acquaintance display no iota of sentimentality about their animals.’
- ‘He is survived by 10 children, 20 grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, a brother and four stepsisters.’
- ‘Your stepmother and stepsisters probably love you, but just have a hard time showing it.’
- ‘Now, this Princess's mother had died when she was very young and she lived with her father, stepmother, and two stepsisters.’
- ‘He promises his father he will help take care of his stepmother and stepsisters, but he is easily persuaded to give them nothing.’
- ‘With the help of his older stepsisters, Curtis met his biological mother in 1990.’
- ‘She called out to her father, her stepmother and her stepsister.’
- ‘Even if you can't talk to your mom or stepsisters about the challenges of stepfamilies, nixing the name-calling would be a move in the right direction.’
- ‘We also believe there are some real risks in opening up the court to so many more parties - aunties, uncles, stepbrothers, stepsisters, grandparents.’
- ‘My stepsister and I would lie, terrified, in a sweltering hotel room, turning up our walkmans and longing for home where at least we had the sanctuary of our own bedrooms to escape the bitterness and shouting.’
- ‘Surly his own mother would have told her, his stepsister, about him.’
- ‘Our parents remarried each other, so we're technically stepsisters, but… we're as close as real ones.’
- ‘She wasn't entirely his sister, only his stepsister.’
- ‘On behalf of the community we extend our deepest sympathy to his sisters, stepsisters, nephews, nieces relatives and friends.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.