One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An electric motor or other device which moves or rotates in a series of small discrete steps.
- ‘But you will still need sophisticated manufacturing infrastructure and sophisticated steppers.’
- ‘The drums were mounted on a platform that could be raised and lowered by an additional stepper motor.’
- ‘A four-axis motion control card allows users to direct stepper motors or digital servomotors, and incorporates a motion control chip as part of its design.’
- ‘The relationships linking the stepper motor position (number of steps) and wavelength have been obtained by averaging the results of more than 20 spectra.’
- ‘I used a power stepper to transform the frequency and also to down the voltage from 240v to 110v.’
- ‘A computer-controlled stepper motor allowed the user to select from 31 filters.’
- ‘Instead, the typewriters of today have a couple integrated circuits, a power supply, one or two stepper motors, a ribbon cable, a daisy print wheel, and a whole lot of air.’
- ‘Both pistons are moved via cams by stepper motors.’
- ‘The beam passes into an optical assembly consisting of cradled prisms connected to leadscrews and stepper motors that allow for horizontal and vertical motion, which creates a virtual source.’
- ‘The actual amount of the foil delivered would be controlled by the stepper motor.’
- ‘Each probe can be moved in two directions, axis and angle, by stepper motors through a remote-control system.’
- ‘Computer-driven stepper motors rotate the mirrors to obtain the desired angle of incidence.’
- ‘The electronic throttle inputs are sent to a stepper motor which controls an eccentric shaft positioned next to the intake camshaft.’
- ‘For example, if a stepper motor will cause a movement of some distance, the distance will be converted to a number of step pulses and some number of feedback pulses via an encoder.’
- ‘The plungers of the pumps are moved via cams by stepper motors which swing or rotate back and forth within a certain angular range.’
- ‘Spectra were acquired before the stepper motor began moving, throughout the 6-blanch cycle, and after the blanch cycle was completed.’
- ‘They are suitable for use with any standard two-phase stepper motor and offer four, user-selectable resolution settings.’
- ‘The two-sided timing belt is driven by a stepper motor in synchronism with the turret.’
- ‘The pinhole was opened maximally to collect the most light and approximate wide field images Z axis position was moved at 0.12-m intervals with a stepper motor attached to the fine focus controls.’
- ‘It will work with customers in the development of enabling technologies and integrated systems involving miniature solenoid valves and diaphragm pumps, motion controllers, stepper and servomotors, and related products.’
2A portable block used in step aerobics.
3dated A horse with a brisk, attractive walking gait.‘choosing a showy gray stepper for May's brougham’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.