One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman who is the wife or partner of one's father after the divorce or separation of one's parents or the death of one's mother.
- ‘This attitude applies to stepmothers and adoptive mothers as well.’
- ‘Her wicked stepmother and father were sending her to a finishing school, in Ireland!’
- ‘She reminded her of a woman who babysat for her back when she still had both her father and her stepmother around.’
- ‘He found his way to the seat at the right of his father, across from his stepmother.’
- ‘Now, more than two decades later, my stepmother nods at my question, glances at my father.’
- ‘I don't need their future stepmother telling me that they are excited about my wedding.’
- ‘Unable to bear the torture of her stepmother, she fled home at the age of 13.’
- ‘Relationships with mothers is confusing enough, not to mention those with stepmothers.’
- ‘His father gave a mighty laugh and his stepmother's eyes twinkled in amusement.’
- ‘She was on her way home to Barton Farm Cottage where she lived with her father, John, her stepmother and stepsister.’
- ‘Well my father went to the party with my stepmother and he brought my half sister and me along.’
- ‘My mother is dead, and my father lives with my stepmother in a town just outside of London.’
- ‘Michael guessed that it was because her stepmother had given her a harsher time than her father had.’
- ‘All children are from the same mother, as our stepmother did not beget any children by my father.’
- ‘As my father's hand reaches for the receiver, an inflammatory remark from my stepmother says sends him charging back over to her.’
- ‘So far, we know this much: these women are mothers, or sometimes stepmothers; they are employed, generally full time, in demanding, high-profile jobs; their husbands are, broadly speaking, successful and affluent.’
- ‘My father died a year ago, and my stepmother returned to France, her native land.’
- ‘When my father died, my stepmother stayed on, remarrying a couple of years later.’
- ‘There were many others on the porch, her cousins, stepmothers and other female relatives.’
- ‘Sharon goes to live with her stepmother and father, who lectures her on how hard she has made his life.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.