One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short folding ladder with flat steps and a small platform.
- ‘A craftsman joiner, distinguished by his long white apron, poses on a pair of stepladders, apparently putting the finishing touches to an open door.’
- ‘Would the person who took the stepladder yesterday please return it or further steps will be taken.’
- ‘Again access to flowers on lower branches was by stepladders.’
- ‘We ate the baked chicken, rice and veggies and finished off with dark chocolate pieces we had to get on a stepladder to reach - they're kept on the top shelf on the cabinet so certain short people don't snack.’
- ‘The store was crammed with stock and staff were on stepladders hanging scarves 12 feet off the floor (either a bizarre new way to display stock or, more likely, an indication that they have nowhere else to put it).’
- ‘Double-sided steps are sturdier than a smaller stepladder and are good for more demanding tasks - such as decorating around door frames.’
- ‘If I were really worried, I'd get a stepladder and get up closer to her and see how she reacted… if she didn't seem eager to come down, I'd probably not force the issue.’
- ‘I need a new stepladder but I want to see the height of the ceilings in the next place before we invest.’
- ‘Use a stepladder or tie an extension ladder securely to the tree and keep one hand on it and one on the saw.’
- ‘Behind these barricades are around 100 stepladders, packed leg to hinge.’
- ‘He folds up the small stepladder and tucks it under his arm.’
- ‘She isn't one to ask to spend time looking at old pictures, so stowing them on a high shelf requiring a stepladder to reach won't be a problem.’
- ‘She said they worked hard to complete the renovations, which transformed the building from a barn with a rickety stepladder and an old straw loft into the working gallery.’
- ‘The higher shelves were still out of reach, but there were handy stepladders in all the bays.’
- ‘Among the warning labels he had designed were those for stepladders, tampons, and swimming pools.’
- ‘I have rather high ceilings in my apartment, which means the lightbulbs remained dead because even with a stepladder, I'm not tall enough to get to them.’
- ‘On stepladders, never stand on the paint shelf, spreaders or back section.’
- ‘In at least one case, that of stepladders, the price has been more than doubled.’
- ‘When cleaning the guttering of a bungalow, always place one's stepladders at right angles to the exterior walls.’
- ‘Then, balancing precariously on a stepladder, I rethreaded the rods in the fixture and repositioned all the glass frames except one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.