One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Offer one's help or services.‘a company has stepped forward to sponsor the team’
- ‘At press time no student had stepped forward offering to cover the substantial deficit.’
- ‘I share with my sister and mother the doom of always stepping forward when we see something that needs doing that no-one else will own.’
- ‘It was at this point the man - who had been seated near to the pair on the train - stepped forward to offer his help.’
- ‘To the coaches and co-ordinators - thanks for stepping forward when we came asking.’
- ‘It's just a case of being confident, stepping forward and accepting responsibility like a man.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Government sanction has enabled the East Midlands Development Agency to offer allowances for parties stepping forward to help fund the race.’
- ‘To Fidel's surprise, his old comrade Che Guevara steps forward, and is duly appointed Finance Minister.’
- ‘Unless a major business steps forward in the future, the carnival could also be in jeopardy.’
- ‘Fourteen candidates stepped forward to jockey for the four available positions.’
- ‘This was a case of a courageous individual stepping forward and enabling the Army to police itself.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.