One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an organism) able to tolerate only a small range of temperature.Often contrasted with eurythermal
- ‘There is also a group of distinctive foraminifera more or less confined to the zone of the Tethys and thought to be a stenothermal tropical group.’
- ‘Trying to illustrate, in an undergraduate lab, the growth of stenothermal bacteria and Neisseria gonorrhoeae is probably not the best choice.’
- ‘However, the thermal range over which ABT was modified was typically wider for more eurythermal species than for stenothermal species (compare green and pinto abalones).’
- ‘High quality coldwater streams typically contain a fish population composed solely of one or more salmonid species like the brook trout Salvelinus fontinalis and one or more native stenothermal coldwater or coolwater species like the mottled sculpin Cottus bairdi.’
- ‘Aquaculture in Poland is based on breeding freshwater stenothermal or non-stenothermal fish in fish ponds located throughout the country.’
Late 19th century: from Greek stenos ‘narrow’ + thermal.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.