Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of study concerned with analyzing the relationship of surviving variant versions of a text to each other, especially so as to reconstruct a lost original.
- ‘It is widely accepted that stemmatics originated in the work of Karl Lachmman.’
- ‘There appear to be strong analogies between the worlds of stemmatics and systematics.’
- ‘This will be followed by instruction in the theory and practice of textual criticism, including stemmatics.’
- ‘Though this aim is old, some of the methods we use - computer collation, techniques of computerised stemmatics borrowed from evolutionary biology, database analysis - are very much of the late twentieth century.’
- ‘This is not to imply that stemmatics is useless for the New Testament.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.