One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Adopt a policy which avoids extremes.
- ‘The United States has generally been served best by toughminded leaders who steered a middle course.’
- ‘But the bee takes a middle course: it gathers its material from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of its own.’
- ‘But both sides, while unctuously claiming that of course they themselves take a middle course and believe in both genes and culture, seemingly remain convinced that no one on the other side does.’
- ‘But Guy reveals how Mary shrewdly steered a middle course between her enemies and supporters.’
- ‘The result is a comprehensive and, in places, detailed account of the life of this king that generally steers a middle course through the many controversies of his reign.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.