A small African antelope with large ears, a small tail, and smooth upright horns.
- ‘The Reserve is stocked with small game - blesbok, mountain reebok, duiker, klipspringer and steenbok, as well as the small creatures: mongoose, tortoise and genet.’
- ‘Other game reintroductions include Liechtenstein hartebeest and steenbuck.’
- ‘We had already seen a couple of rhinos, a small steenbok and a pair of battleur eagles when the call came through on the radio from one of the other vehicles: ‘Lions, lions, zebra kill, zebra kill!’’
- ‘They have stolen a statue of a steenbok from Wits University, as well as the plaque on the striking black granite cube commemorating Enoch Sontonga, author of the national anthem.’
- ‘It was a night for steenbok, springhares and Cape hares too whose eyes lit up by our torch lights raised diminishing levels of excitement as we saw more and more.’
- ‘It now houses more than 20 of the zoo's animals, including five white lions, sitatungas, antelope, deer, meerkats, a baby steenbok and an aviary with more than 100 species of birds.’
- ‘They have observed that when caracal numbers in their region are moderate, that there is an increase in natural prey animals such as hares, steenbok and dassies.’
Late 18th century: from Dutch, from steen stone + bok buck.