Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Covered or reinforced with steel.‘a secure room with fitted steel-plated walls’
armour-plated, steel-plated, ironclad, mailedView synonyms
- ‘For part of the war, the whole family, two parents, a Grandma, and we three boys, all had to sleep downstairs in a huge steel plated construction in the dining room, just in case the bombs did drop and the house fell in.’
- ‘Whenever the duchess stays at the £900,000 home, she will be guarded by Royal Protection Officers in three steel-plated units at the gate.’
- ‘The emergence of steam-driven, steel-plated warships created the need for specialized engineering officers in the navy.’
- ‘Designed to keep out intruders, the small chamber is protected by steel-plated walls, ceiling, and floor, and a door that is close to impervious.’
- ‘The tank has come a long way since those early days, when it was little more than a steel-plated machinegun carrier.’
- ‘If a shotgun is held up against a door, the rounds will go through 65 mm-thick timber, steel-plated fire doors or armoured glass.’
- ‘People leapt form windows, tunneled and crept through sewers, rammed through the gates in steel-plated trucks, crawled through mud, and swam the icy waters of the city's rivers and canals.’
- ‘The students stopped at two steel plated doors.’
- ‘The steel-plated dam collapsed only a year later.’
- ‘The bullet smashed into the grey steelplated door six inches from Claudia's head.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.