One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a cafeteria or restaurant) a table with slots to hold food containers which are kept hot by steam circulating beneath them.
- ‘The restaurant boasts a strange mix of food-court style seating and a steam table surrounded by nearly sophisticated dark tangerine walls, decorated with a smattering of pictures depicting life in India.’
- ‘I am sure those sandwiches were delicious, but heroes get soggy on a steam table, and the food becomes a gloppy mess.’
- ‘The camera pans past the steam table as the kitchen staff serves out the food.’
- ‘With a resealable bucket, the restaurant can get enough to fill a steam table or as little as one serving.’
- ‘There are also the traditional steam table restaurants which cook once a day and display their food at the door so you may see what you are getting.’
- ‘Beyond the dining room, the requisite counters, ovens, steam tables, and sinks filled the hotel's large kitchen, a room only slightly smaller than the dining room.’
- ‘The steam table featured various choices, but I decided to go with the Joojeh Kebab - charbroiled chicken, served with potato and rice or half rice and half salad, which I went with.’
- ‘On weekends, this one doesn't have the steam table with three hot entrées and as many side dishes.’
- ‘The steam table has been replaced by a microwave, and now men shuffle in to buy Colt 45 each morning.’
- ‘Iron chairs scrape across the floor, and the requisite fuzzy photos are posted both on the wall and across the glass fronting the steam table.’
- ‘And it's hard to resist her Creole corn spiked with tomato and red pepper, the kind of thing that would make any steam table in town a little more terrific.’
- ‘Food processing tables as well as steam tables, where titanium has been substitute for stainless steel, have been evaluated and results indicate superior performance and potential utilization.’
- ‘Come closer, and note the absence of any conventional stovetops, closed ovens, deep fryers, or steam table.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.