Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nountrademark in US
An effervescent beer brewed chiefly in the western US.
- ‘Turn of the century brewing texts describe the steam beer of the day in terms that sound familiar a century later.’
- ‘California steam beer originated during the 1849 California Gold Rush, uses lager fermentation and ale yeast.’
- ‘Now rarely brewed, steam beer was a traditional style of 19th century California.’
- ‘Often called steam beer, California common is a dark lager and one of the few styles created outside of Europe.’
- ‘The batch I brewed before my daughter was born was a steam beer, although I came up with my own basic recipe.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.