One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounScottish, Northern English
A farm and its buildings; a farmstead.
smallholding, holding, farmstead, grange, plantation, estateView synonyms
- ‘They installed a threshing mill and horse gin - you can see them near the steading - and built the dairy and barn.’
- ‘Henderson works with developer Musto Properties which currently has an eight-room Victorian farmhouse in Harburn on the market and will be converting the adjacent farm steadings.’
- ‘Farmers have built the wide-span buildings they need elsewhere and the 150-year-old steadings lie abandoned.’
- ‘The sea of raspberry fields that lap the farm steading at Threipland's old farm near Rait in Perthshire is a fast-receding memory.’
- ‘Scotland has a rich diversity of historic buildings, including castles, tower houses, crofts, steadings, Edwardian mansions and so on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.