One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apple of a deep red variety with a mildly tart flavour, originating in the US and used for cooking and as a dessert apple.
- ‘Other varieties like the Empire, Ida Red, Goldrush and Stayman Winesap are available already picked in the market, along with products like apple dumplings, apple cider, applesauce and apple butter.’
- ‘Begin with a tart-sweet apple like Gravenstein or Newton Pippin, then mix in spicy McIntosh with Gravensteins or winy Staymans with Pippins.’
- ‘Those who go for the blue-ribboned fruit trees pick the sour apples like Stayman Winesaps.’
- ‘Many of the good kinds are finished by December, but Winesaps or Stayman Winesaps probably are still good.’
- ‘Many varieties of apples are used, including Jonathans, Winesaps, Staymans, Pippins, and Delicious apples.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.