One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apple of a deep red variety with a mildly tart flavour, originating in the US and used for cooking and as a dessert apple.
- ‘Other varieties like the Empire, Ida Red, Goldrush and Stayman Winesap are available already picked in the market, along with products like apple dumplings, apple cider, applesauce and apple butter.’
- ‘Many of the good kinds are finished by December, but Winesaps or Stayman Winesaps probably are still good.’
- ‘Those who go for the blue-ribboned fruit trees pick the sour apples like Stayman Winesaps.’
- ‘Many varieties of apples are used, including Jonathans, Winesaps, Staymans, Pippins, and Delicious apples.’
- ‘Begin with a tart-sweet apple like Gravenstein or Newton Pippin, then mix in spicy McIntosh with Gravensteins or winy Staymans with Pippins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.