Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ability to maintain an activity or commitment despite fatigue or difficulty; stamina.‘do you have the staying power to study alone at home?’
- ‘Although some critics have said Danny has only been too clever by half on Kaya, there is no question that he has proved his staying power.’
- ‘It was his wit, his staying power and his uncanny ability to surf the waves of changing musical taste and always land on the right side of the curve that made him so special.’
- ‘Therefore, it did not have staying power when other competitors entered into the market of producing industrial alcohol.’
- ‘Cardiovascular stamina, for all-day staying power, and weight lifting, for injury prevention and power.’
- ‘The real-life tale of a boisterous puppy is proving its staying power in the dog-eat-dog world of US bestsellers.’
- ‘Dravid was a reminder, too, that staying power and concentration and desire are beautiful things too, that in purpose itself we can find pleasure.’
- ‘The crew has staying power and was strong enough in its rookie season to win the pit crew challenge.’
- ‘Whether you like them or not, there is no question regarding their tenacity or staying power.’
- ‘We vow to start faster and run harder, when what we need may be not more speed but more staying power, stamina that comes only from a bigger heart.’
- ‘Their strength of will or staying power is incredibly strong.’
- ‘We'll of course have to play the game a lot longer to see if it has staying power, but our initial impression was a good one.’
- ‘This approach to star power emphasizes staying power over great performance in one week.’
- ‘People with high efficacy enjoy challenging, difficult situations and exhibit high staying power in those pursuits.’
- ‘A brave competitor, he is known for his staying power in handicap chases.’
- ‘After making over 150 films spanning 48 years, he has proven his staying power.’
- ‘You need to draw a distinction, do you not, between market power and staying power?’
- ‘What allowed me to have staying power was the ability to change rapidly with the times.’
- ‘Ranawaka has a lot of staying power and concentration.’
- ‘So don't neglect current members who have displayed loyalty to your club for newcomers who have yet to prove their staying power.’
- ‘Happily, Snyder's strongest pictures did not depend for their impact or their staying power on such considerations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.