One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A statute prescribing a period of limitation for the bringing of certain kinds of legal action.
- ‘The defense held that even if there was proof of genocide, to charge the defendants now violated the statute of limitations.’
- ‘As far as I can see the American doctors aren't as brazen as their Australian cousins in calling for a statute of limitations on tort claims.’
- ‘Under Italian law, the statute of limitations means that, after a long period of time since the offence, the conviction is quashed.’
- ‘Shouldn't there be a statute of limitations on intellectual property when something becomes entrenched in culture?’
- ‘The statute of limitations for libel in England is one year, giving O'Reilly only 76 more days to file.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.