Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A severe condition in which asthma attacks follow one another without pause.
- ‘Magnesium sulfate has been used for more than 50 years to treat status asthmaticus and severe acute asthma without specific guidelines.’
- ‘Leading causes of nontraumatic, noncardiac sports death are exertional hyperthermia, followed by exertional rhabdomyolysis and status asthmaticus.’
- ‘We report five cases of status asthmaticus (four requiring mechanical ventilation) that were triggered by inhaled heroin and review the pertinent literature.’
- ‘Treatment with aminophylline has been shown to improve oxygenation and reduce the incidence of intubation in children with severe status asthmaticus.’
- ‘Mechanical ventilation for status asthmaticus in children over 2 years of age was infrequent.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.