One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A calcareous particle in the statocysts of invertebrates that stimulates sensory receptors in response to gravity, so enabling balance and orientation.
- ‘The combination of the statocysts and the statolith aids the mussel in maintaining equilibrium by sensing gravity.’
- ‘Thus, a model for gravitropism in stem-like organs is proposed in which F-actin modulates the gravity response by actively participating in statolith repositioning within the endodermal statocytes.’
- ‘The sagittal section contains the statolith and the internal structure of the two lens eyes.’
- ‘They have these little statoliths or balance organs in the back of their head and we can section those and look under a microscope and have daily rings just like tree rings in a tree stump.’
- ‘The head is analogous to a statolith, the movements of which are monitored by fields of hair sensilla located on the head, neck, and prothorax.’
- 1.1another term for otolith
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.